Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First and Last


The first weekend in October a group of us headed out to Lake Mead for the first time of the summer and is looking to be the last. WE included myself and Brady of course, Brady's little bro Kirby, and our friends Gene, Gary, and Brittani. We had a great plan of going out on Friday night and camping on a beach, from Echo Bay (out past Overton). We didn't get to my grandma's house until after 7:30pm so by the time we got to the lake it was really dark. Plus is was super windy and threatening rain. We launched the boat anyway, but to our disappointment it would not start. We tried for about an hour to get it to start up, but it barely would turn over. We decided that the battery must have not charged enough so we headed back to Grandma Ts to sleep and recharge the battery. Can I just tell you how glad I am that the battery didn't work. That was a real blessing in disguise. We were for sure being protected because that night the wind and rain was crazy! We would have been miserable if not gotten hurt. Our plan was to get up at 5am and head back out there, but when we woke up it was still raining and very windy so we went back to sleep. I wont lie I was glad to still be laying in bed, but about 30min later it stopped raining and Brady and Gene were all gun-hoe about wakeboarding and so we got up and got everything ready and headed back out to the lake. As we drove it started raining again and it was so cloudy, windy and quite cold. It turned out to be such a memorable day. I LOVED it! The lake was so choppy with huge waves that it very much resembled the ocean only with mountains all around. It was beautiful! There is something about cloudy days that makes me happy. I see things so clearly, and the water and rocks were quite the sight. We tried to find a cove that wasn't too bad so that we could do some wakeboarding. We found one, but it was still too choppy for me so I decided to be the all time flag girl. I did at least jump in the water though so it wasn't a total waste. :) I don't know why I bothered and I was teased a bit because there was almost no other boats on the lake. I think later in the day we saw a few jet skiis, one boat, and one house boat, but I still raised that flag high every time some one was in the water. It was actually a good arm workout cuz the wind was so strong and my arms were a little sore the next few days. This was Kirby's first time wakeboarding and he did great, especially with the crazy water. With such a small group everybody got a turn at least 3-4 times. We all had a great time. I also tried out the bathroom that is stationed out in the middle of the lake. It wasn't too bad, and it was nice to get out of the boat and walk around the platform for a while. Once late morning came the sun came out for a little while, but the wind picked up. We just couldn't win so after everyone was done around 1pm we started back to the dock. This was a fun ride back I sat at the front and got drenched by the enormous waves that crashed against the boat. It was great fun!





Once we got everything put away we took a little rest and then went 4-wheeling. We went to the old car where we got engaged and then to some hills to ride around on. There was mad lightening and it started sprinkling, but that was not the highlight of the trip. Brady and I flipped one of my grandma's 4-wheelers. I was so scared! I couldn't even talk for a minute. Brady was driving and he went up this super steep, tall hill and went the wrong way and we were on a ledge so he started to back up, which freaked me out because it was sooooo steep. As we keep moving backward one of the rear tires caught a dip and it was done for after that. We both stuck out our legs and tried to "stop" the 4-wheeler. We were hopping next to it with one leg still straddling until it was apparent that we needed to just get out of the way or bad news. I was lucky enough to get out of the way and slide down the hill on my butt; only me knee was tweaked a little. Brady tried to hang a bit longer and the huge bombardier hit his shoulder and knocked it out of its socket. Thankfully it went back in by itself. That would happen all the time to Brady playing baseball, but it hadn't happened in like 8 years so he was a bit sore. We were so blessed on this trip. That was the second potentially disastrous mishap. He finally let go and got out of the way the the 4-wheeler flipped the rest of the way down the hill about 4-5 times. It landed on its wheels and didn't even turn off. It was not damaged at all. I was impressed to say the least, but I still didn't want to get back on (man this took a long time to explain! It really happened in about 10 seconds). After some coaxing I got back on and we even rode a few less intense hills and had a good time. We ended Saturday with a trip the the Inside Scoop. That shop is so special to me! We stayed there til almost closing time all the while Brady and Kirby told hilarious stories about their childhood and how Brady would terrorize Kirby. After that everybody headed home except Brady and me. We stayed and watched conference with my grandma. I hadn't seen her in a while and she went back up to Idaho this week so it was great to be with her then. Hopefully this next year she will be able to stay at home a bit more. It was a wonderful weekend!

This is us re-enacting our terror!




Congrats to Gary who just found out he passed the Nevada Bar! He is a full fledged attorney now!

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

That looks like a lot of fun. :]

kendal said...

Hooray Gary! I still have a little missing out snydrome over that trip but i'll survive somehow...

*elle said...

Hi Brady! It's Tiffany, from way back when with Portia. Hope all is well! Thanks so much for being my firend when I was investigating the church. You and Daniel were hilarious! Looks like you've got such a wonderful wife. Check out our blog to get our update.

drewnloke.blogspot.com

Okuda Family said...

PLEAse email that picture of you and the girls to me. That is hilarious! Thanks again for watching them!