Saturday, October 25, 2008

1 Week Down

This week has been very exhausting! I started a new job as a case manager for the Public Guardian Office. This is the most adult job I have ever had. I am a deputy guardian and I have almost 40 cases already. For those who are not sure what this job entails I will share a little as I am not completely knowledgeable on the subject either (which adds greatly to my stress). As a case manager I act in behalf of the public guardian (I had to go to court and be deputized) for our wards that have been appointed to our office by the courts because they have been deemed incompetent. So basically I pay peoples bills and monitor their finances, provide for their needs and make medical decisions. Talk about responsibility! I think I will really enjoy it once I get the hang of things. Everyone keeps telling me that it will take between 1-2 years for me to learn this job. Hopefully I will get it sooner cuz I don't like not knowing how to do things. I also get to make monthly visits to all my wards so that is a nice break up of office work. I have to now carry 2 cell phones with me though cuz if something happens with one of my cases after hours I have to be reachable so it is kind of a 24/7 job. It is nice to be doing something that is so important and has such an impact on the lives of others. I am learning so much. Another great thing about this is that I am now a county employee and am able to get awesome benefits! This has been a bit of a stress as we have been with out insurance for over a year. We have been testing our luck. I just hope our luck holds until January! So this is a great new adventure and I am excited to have that first week under my belt. The first week is always the hardest. I am blessed to have some of the best co-workers ever. They are all so friendly, helpful, and understanding. I love working in the social services field! Now off to finish making dinner with Brady. I love those night when we are both home and we cook together. What a great Saturday!

4 comments:

aubri said...

That sounds intense! I bet you are so good at it though!

scoot and sara said...

I'm glad you are liking your job as stressful as it may be. It'll only get better!

Jake & Candice Root said...

Holy cow! You must have read my mind! My mom and I were just talking about you this weekend and wondering what you were up to! I'm so glad you found our blog! It looks like you are doing well! Keep in touch and good luck with the new job! :)

Jake & Candice Root said...

Oh...and my mom says your family are poops cause we never get a Christmas card or any updates on what everyone is up to!!! ;)