Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Okuda Family Vaca

Us looking tough for the derby! :)

Every year Brady's family goes on a little trip the first weekend in August. We first head to Coalville, UT for the Brooks Family Reunion (my mother-in-laws fam) for that weekend and then head to Bountiful for a few days with Grandma and Grandpa Okuda. It is really fun even though I complain a lot about sleeping in the sheep field at the reunion (its not that bad, I am just a wimp). My sis-in-law Brandi and her 2 girls rode with us and those 2 girls were champs. They are 2 and 4 and we didn't stop until after Beaver for our first potty break. I was amazed! They were wonderful travelers. As a side note can I just say how much I hate going to Provo. We stopped there to eat and would you believe the only thing we could find that was open at 9:45pm-10pm was Olive Garden. What a college town! Sad, I tell ya. Anyway, while we were at the reunion the Summit County Fair was going on along with their famous Demolition Derby! We rarely get to go because it sells out a few hours after the ticket go on sale, but this year our cousins had some extra so we jumped at the chance to go. They are so fun! It is crazy how messed up these cars get and how much beating they can take and still run. We had a great time except when the drivers were friends/relatives because then they wouldn't hit each other hard or at all. It was weak! But as illustrated in the pictures some cars hit super hard. It was so fun!




It was fun hanging with family and getting to know some we don't get to see very often. This side of the family is huge and I am still learning names, which makes me feel kinda lame cuz I have been going for 3 years. One day I will remember everybody. It was fun to see the nieces interact with all of them getting so grown up. They have such distinct personalities. Its great!

Once we got to Bountiful we took it easy, which was so nice. Sometimes on vacations we try to fit so much in that it just wipes us out and isn't as enjoyable, but this was perfect. We took it easy. The boys played a game of whiffle ball while us girls played in the outfield and cheered them on.



All 5 girls were in a good mood so it was the perfect time for a photo shoot. Aren't they adorable!



The boys always go golfing and this year they went twice so the mommies, grandma, and me decided that we were going to leave the kids with the guys and have a girls outing. Some cousins at the reunion had these "glitter toes" that were really fun and cute so we decided to drive down to Lehi and get glitter toes. They put this gel on first then dump a bunch of glitter on your toes. It looked like they were first graders doing artwork with glue and glitter. They cover up the glitter with another layer of gel and then file it a bit so it is smooth. It is supposed to last a long time so we will see how long it stays. We had such a great time and I think this will become a tradition. It's the girls "golfing."

We decided that the girls would be jealous so we stopped at Walgreens and got some glitter nail polish to do all the girls toes. Even baby Elynn had her toes done. We got this sweet picture. I think it may be my favorite pic of the trip.

Family is so important and I am so blessed to have such great in-laws. I love them and love to do things with them and I can appreciate how special that is. Not everybody has that kind of relationship with the dreaded in-laws. :) I LOVE IT!!!

This post may be a bit spotty. I keep running back and forth from my office to my living room to watch the Olympics. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so, random thing: I'm a Brooks too (my grandmother's maiden name is Brooks)!

Oh, and you don't know me, but I read your blog. Kinda scary, I know. Brady and I served in the same mission, but he might not even remember me because we never actually served together.

But, way to be a Brooks!

Seth and Eryn said...

Mel, it looks like you had so much fun! Your toes are way cute, by the way. Isn't it just so nice to get away from Vegas for a vacation?! It looks like you guys had lots of fun!

Unknown said...

Fun summer guys! Brent really wanted to take our boys to a demolition derby this summer, but it never happened. Thanks for the blog info...an invite to ours is on its way!
(Brent & Angie Castle)