I am sure not many, if any of you follows the men's US soccer team, but currently they are playing in a tournament called the Confederations Cup. This is important mostly because it is stationed in South Africa where the World Cup will be held next year. Another reason it is important is we get to play serious international powerhouses that have a long history of dominating soccer, so we get to try our strength. We started out like crap which is not surprising. We haven't been playing well lately (as in the last 5years). :) In our bracket was Egypt, Italy, Brazil. Not much hope for moving on, but good practice right? Well this was right as we lost to Italy and Brazil by quite the margin, but fortunately for us Egypt turned out to be pretty good and beat Italy. It appeared to be clear who would move through to the semi-finals, Brazil and Egypt, but there was a small, very small chance for the US to get in and that was for the US to beat Egypt 3-0 and for Brazil to beat Italy 3-0. Anything else would knock the US out for sure. This was a very unlikely scenario as we played like garbage the first two games and Egypt played really well and Italy is not a scrub team so they are likely to at least score 1goal. Would you believe The US beat Egypt 3-0 and thanks to an Italian own-goal (when you score on yourself) Brazil beat Italy 3-0 so the US made it through to the semi-final to play Spain who is ranked #1 in the world right now and has not lost a game since 2006. Now please sit down for this! Bob Bradley (coach) finally put in our best defensive line: Spector, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra and the rest of the team played insane. It was nice to see them actually run and try!! Long game short we BEAT Spain 2-0. I am still in shock! We may not embarrass ourselves in the World Cup like I thought. I am not getting my hopes up though. Bradley seems to play the worst players for some reason and we still don't have any solid center mids, but as yesterday proves you never know! We play Brazil again in the final and they killed us so again, not likely to win that one, but it was unthinkable that we would actually be in the final of this tournament so you never know! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
seriously!! I cant wait for world cup...the possibilities!
Not to be the downer, but I have a feeling that they aren't going to make it out of the first bracket in the World Cup. Call me a traitor, but Germany is my team anyway. All I can say is, if Bob Bradley was smart, he'd stop putting Dempsey in the back, and allow him to play up, because he's proven that he scores when he gets moved up. I'm not impressed with a lot of the players on the U.S. squad. I can't believe Fernando Torres didn't score 13 goals against us--he's so sick!
But seriously, I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think about the World Cup next year. I am so freakin excited!
Post a Comment